This recipe yields two (2) loaves… no one will ever know it’s gluten free, you’ll need 2 – it goes fast!
Use plain Greek yogurt and add Chia Seed meal to give your banana bread a powerful protein punch!
If you use coconut flour, increase liquid as coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid
1. Grease loaf pans (I use coconut oil), preheat oven to 350 F
2. Sift together:
1 + 1/4 cup white rice flour or cocount flour (or combo of the 2)
1/4 cup ground chia seed meal (if not using chia seed, increase above flour to 1 1/2 cup)
2/3 cup potato flour
3 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
2 tbsp gelatin (2 envelopes)
If you want a chocolate banana bread, sift in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cocoa
3. Cream Together:
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup Xylitol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
6 egg yolks (reserve whites in separate bowl)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4. Then Add to Creamed Mixture:
2 tsp lemon peel
1 1/2 cup mashed banana
1/2 to 3/4 cup greek yogurt (if dairy free is preferred use applesauce)
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients – you may choose to add in chocolate or carob chips, walnuts or peacans now
6. Beat egg whites to stiff but not dry
7. Fold in egg whites (carefully!)
8. Bake in 350 degree oven for about one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean
This recipe yields an extremely healthful snack that even the fussiest children will eat and beg for more! Using plain Greek yogurt will increase the protein content significantly (there are 16 gm of protein in a 3/4 cup serving of greek yogurt). Adding nuts will also increase your protein content.
If your batter is too thick/dry, add a bit more yogurt or applesauce. If using coconut flour increase yogurt/applesauce to 3/4 cup.